Friday, June 22, 2007

One More Thing...

One of my least favorite parts of the brew day is collecting water. I've decided that I'm just going to use water from the garden hose out back today. I'll treat it with some Campden (potassium metabisulfite) in order to remove any chlorine and/or chloramine, and we'll see how it tastes.

I'm usually very picky about my water. Our fridge has an in-line filter leading to a dispenser on the face of one of the doors, so I'd been using the water from there. However, the flow is insufferably slow. Being that it takes away from the otherwise relaxing experience of brewing, I believe I will try something easier. How 'bout that?

For more on the chemical reactions taking place, check this out.

2 comments:

6th Floor blog said...

I've always just used water from the sink, but then I'm still rather new and inexperienced at this. My house does have a filter on it at least.

joe said...

Right on. No reason not to use tap if the resulting beer is good.